So, I finally stitched up this Madeleine bag from Imagine Gnats, with a Jessica Jones home decor weight cotton on the exterior, and Joel Dewberry quilting weight cotton on the interior. I've had these two fabrics stashed together for a while now... planning to make something with them. The fabric (with the text) for the folded pocket is, I think, a Japanese import fabric. This was such a fun bag to make. Plus, I made an interior zippered pocket and inserted a magnetic snap, both for the first time, and with no tears or swearing. The only modifications I made were to enlarge the pattern for the bag by about twenty percent and to lengthen the strap. This made it just the right size for me.
I also needed a business card holder to carry in my new bag. I followed this tutorial from the Crafty Cupboard.
Finally, I just have to show off my new knit fabric that arrived in the mail yesterday from Girl Charlie Fabrics. I'll be using the one on the left in my Maxi Skirt workshop at Sewing Summit. It'll be my first time using a serger -- I hope it turns out well! The fabrics were all so fabulous that I couldn't order just one. I'm thinking the stripes will become a t-shirt or two, and I may use the peacock blue solid for screenprinted jersey scarves (to sell, this time -- NOT for me.)
I have to admit that all this sewing for myself does make me feel a little guilty. But I know it will also feel good the next time someone asks me if I made my bag and I can proudly say, "Yes. As a matter of fact, I did!"
Go do/make something for yourself today!